Okay let’s talk nails!! Being a mother with a one year old, leaves no room in my life for salon manicures. So, I do my own salon grade manicure at my house! Honestly it’s incredible and I love doing it! I would even bet on the fact that my at home manicure last longer than any salon manicure!
I originally started doing at home mani’s before Emma. I was busy with work and I didn’t have much time to go to the salon regularly, neither did my budget allow it! So I started doing my own manicures. I soon found out, how much I enjoyed polishing my own nails! It was a way for me to unwind, relax, have gorgeous nails, and I wasn’t stuck with the same color on my nails for weeks!
Throughout the years I have found amazing, affordable products that work wonders (for me anyways)! Just like hair and skin, not all products work the same for everyone. I suggest you try out a few different base and top coats, different brands, and see what works best for you! Below you can find a few of my favorite and most trusted items!
These are steps that you DO NOT want to skip when doing an at home mani!
- Prep, cut, and file- Always start with this step!
- Push back cuticles– Soak (if you have time to soak, this will ensure your cuticle will move back safely and with ease. Many articles suggest using wooden cuticle pushers, I prefer metal ( it just gets the job done much quicker).
- Buff– Never ever skip this step! (use the purple buffer below)
- Base Coat– A base coat helps prevent nail staining, along with extending your manicure. IT IS A MUST!
- Color– Im obsessed with Sally Hansen’s Insta-dry polishes right now! Umm hello, I have a one year old! They’re so fast drying!! Here I’d say play around with different brands you might find you have better luck with less expensive ones, like I do!
- Top Coat– Always use a top coat, it too helps with the length of your manicure, while also giving your nails some added shine. A top coat helps lock in the look, and protecting your manicure from fading.
- Cuticle Oil– I use an oil to help keep my cuticles from looking dried and dull. In return helps keep my mani looking fresher longer! Do this step after your manicure is complete and before bed every night!
Shop My Favorite Products